Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hilarious Punk Rock Names

So here are some awesome punk names, basically from the top of my head. I previously put this list on my Twitter in a fit of serial tweeting. But this is the innanet and things must be repeated. Especially lists. Lists are readable. So here's my top five. A countdown in order of awesomeness.

5. Land Phil
This dude is the bass player for "thrash revivalists," Municipal Waste. Punk rock name wise, it's pretty basic. Just a good ol' pun. But hey, I do love me a good pun. PUNishment aside, Land Phil is worth noting here basically because of how fucking awesome Municipal Waste is. These guys shred way too hard to have fully visible hands. I saw the Waste in July, opening for AT THE GATES, which was among the best shows I've ever been to. Their shreddiness aside, Municipal Waste have a real knack for punk punz. Here are a few or their awesome song titles: Substitute Creature, Abusement Park, The Thrashin' of the Christ and my personal favorite, Beer Pressure.

4. Ross Sewage

So the place I'm posting from right now is pretty loud and I can't hear anything from my computer, but I guess this is ol' Ross drunk, talking about dog shit or something. He plays bass in Impaled and Ludicra. I've seen Ludicra a few times - they like to play Portland and the Northwest and stuff. They've played Ground Kontrol twice, which were among our biggest nights ever. Just a pretty good name. A slightly more artful pun than Land Phil, I think.

3. Park Bench
So I can't find any pictures of this guy. He plays a tiny role with no dialogue in American Psycho. An "artist" named "Stash." But c'mon. Park Bench. That's genius.

2. Skip School
Same as Park Bench - no picture. In fact, I've looked all over the innanet and can't find any mention of this mythical punk unicorn. I only know about Skip School because my friend Jakob mentions him in this pun-name conversation. For the life of him, Jakob can't remember what bank Skip is from. Which leads me to believe that Mr. School is beyond made up, and is errant PUN from the mist planet JOKE, manifested in Jakob's brain where he can enter our world under the guise of, I dunno, probably a bass player in a band that probably sounds a lot like Fear.

1. Frank Discussion
I know. It's genius. I think that is the most hilarious thing I've ever heard. The guys calls himself Frank. Discussion. Just let that sink in for a bit. Anyway, he's the singer for domestic terrorists anti-establishment punks, Feederz. Those guys are pretty gnarly. Can't say I've seen them or even heard one of their records, but I'd like to. If they're half as good as their naming skills, these guys have to be nothing short of amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Try "Skip Skool." Looks like he was in a band called Hogan's Heroes that later became OS101 (Old School 101, what a shitty name). I dunno punk, but I'm good at google.

    P.S. Jakob Puke.

    ReplyDelete